Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Compassion

I don't know if it's just me or does it seem like we've had a rash of particularly heinous crimes committed by juveniles.

Christopher McCoy, 17, was charged as an adult today with the beating and carjacking of a 72 year old woman. This is in the wake of my buddy, Alfonso Price, 15, accused of beating and kicking his girlfriend until she lost her baby.

We are now in the midst of the third generation of a poverty population that has been the target of Lyndon Johnson's Great Society, how's that worked out so far?

The piece of the welfare puzzle your average liberal cannot understand is the deterioration of spirit that occurs when you simply give money to someone for simply "existing". After generations of this type relationship, we have succeeded in breeding millions of delinquents who simply grow up with the attitude "I want it, I deserve it and I'll take it" without regard to others.

And why shouldn't they?

If poverty were the sole cause of crime, prison populations should have exploded from the number of people in totally destitute situations. But they weren't because people understood that you don't just deserve something for existing; you have to offer something to others.

I just wonder if the compassion most liberals go on and on about extends to 72 year old ladies.

No comments: