Monday, September 08, 2008

Barracuda

The Gekko's went out for our last outdoor concert of the year; Cheap Trick, Heart, & Journey.

First, let me say that I've been to Buffett & Dave Matthews concerts that weren't as crowded last night. I was surprised given that I hold Journey responsible for ending good rock and roll when they released Oh Sherry.

General notes

Cheap Trick - The guys are starting to show their age but I'll always love the name Bun E. Carlos.

Heart - I don't know why they share a stage with any band. This is the second time I've seen them and they get it going better than any concert act I've ever seen. I'm hoping to see them some day where we get to see a full show rather than the one hour warm up.

By the way, love the covers, Love Rain on Me and Goin' to California. I wish more bands did good covers of others music.

I also loved the tribute to Sarah Palin when they did Barracuda.

Journey - Let's just say that whole concert was set up for lots of Mom's to sing along with a band and call it rock and roll. But what else would you expect from the band that single handedly killed rock and roll.

5 comments:

Matt Hurley said...

For the record, Oh, Sherry was NOT a Journey song...that was the lead singer's super ambitious solo project.....

gordon gekko said...

I appreciate the correction.

Let's go with Don't Stop Believin' as the unofficial end of rock and roll.

Ben said...

I wanted to go to this on Saturday at Blossom.....sold out. Journey/Def Lepeard were here two years ago and they were practically giving out tickets, so I didnt plan ahead. Damnit.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/09/05/2008-09-05_use_of_barracuda_for_sarah_palin_nets_go.html

gordon gekko said...

The Journey/Def Lepard concert was a sell out here which was fine since I think both bands suck.

None the less, Heart can jam.