Saturday, August 14, 2010

Ground zero mosque

I've not expressed an opinion on the ground zero mosque because I consider it a local zoning issue. Like most NIMBY issues, I'm thinking if you oppose this so much, buy the damn property and turn into something more appropriate.

But given that our president finds the need to speak up on this issue, I guess it's fair game for everyone.

Here's the typical liberal take on the issue....

Many opponents of the project have been employing a clever little dodge. They say they don't question the group's legal right to build it under the Constitution. Rather, they say, they're merely criticizing the group's decision to do so, on the grounds that it's insensitive to 9/11 families and will undercut the project's goal of reconciliation. The group has the right to build the center, runs this argument, but they are wrong to exercise it. In response, Obama could have merely cast this dispute as a Constitutional issue, talked about how important it is to hew to that hallowed document, and moved on.


Let me offer this to Greg. If I wanted to open a gun shop next to his house, or maybe a strip joint, or a cell tower, or how about a big ass Christian church with all the parking issues and such, would he be as sensitive to my "right" to be there?

Like a Kennedy, he be as big of NIMBY (not in my back yard) as any.

I don't get the feeling that the Imam in NY is all that interested in building bridges to the victims of 9/11. It seems to me that they are looking to pour some salt in the wounds and then stick one in the eyes of these folks.

Ultimately, the city of New York will decide this issue and when the next terrorists come rolling out of this mosque, I'm guessing that Greg here will be no where to be found.

More........

No comments: