Sunday, November 27, 2011

Getting back in shape sucks

For the past couple of months, my blog posts have been few and far between.

There's a couple of reasons for that but the first has been my fitness commitment to get myself back in shape.

Since April 15th, I've lost 50 lbs and after some of my workouts, all I can think of doing is going to bed.

My workout regimen culminated with a Thanksgiving day 10k run.

Here's my result if you are interested.

As I was running Thursday morning, it dawned on me that there's some fairly clear barometers that tell you that you're not quite in the shape you want to be.

1) When a guy in a turkey suit passes you.
2) When a bunch of 70 year old shriners wearing fez's are running figure 8's around you.
3) When a homeless guy runs up to you asking you if you'd like a drink.
4) When you've been running for 6 minutes and you haven't even passed the starting line.
5) It's three days after the race and your quadriceps still feel like someone shot you in the legs.


Hopefully, I'll get back to blogging soon but for now, I'm going to keep up my Thanksgiving day size consumption of ibuprofen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

52:06 is a good time. The wife and I have run it the past 4 years and my best is just over 1 hour. I was signed up for this year's run, but ended up getting sick on Wednesday and skipped it. Strollers are not allowed at the Thanksgiving Day Race, but my first 5k I barely beat a woman pushing a stroller--really gives you perspective on how much you suck. Congrats on the weight loss!

-Jeremy

Anonymous said...

congrats on the weight loss and the exercise. it'll do you good in the long run, as they say.

deskbox