Friday, August 26, 2011

Boycotting Comcast.... not much of a sacrifice

A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from a Time Warner rep about converting my phone service over to them. I told the rep that I would never do business with Time Warner under any conditions.

After she asked me why, I told her "because I won't support a sleazy company who produces some of the raunchiest hip hop music, the most liberally biased magazines, raunchy TV shows, dominates the local cable TV market with a legal monopoly and the fact that Ted Turner still owns significant stock in the company. Hell, even Sports Illustrated is nothing but a global warming puff piece. But other than that, I'm sure you're a fine company".

My assistant laughed for about an hour but I was dead serious.

So when I read that Comcast is a big Obama supporter, I guess I need to add them to the boycott list............

The media is still showing the love for Obama. Not only does the fawning coverage continue but media executives are putting their money where their collective mouths are, by showering the Obama campaign with money. Comcast, the nation's largest cable operator and the new owner of NBC (and MSNBC) is the company that tops out the list of executives giving money to the Obama Victory Fund. Abby Phillip writes in Politico:

President Obama raised eyebrows this weekend when he visited Comcast CEO Brian Roberts' Martha's Vineyard home on Sunday. Comcast, beyond being a telecommunications giant, is also the parent company of NBC and MSNBC.

It turns out that Comcast employees are also the most generous organizational donors to the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee between the Obama campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

Comcast employees have donated nearly $200,000 to the fund, according to an
Open Secrets analysis. They top out a list that includes Goldman Sachs employees (No. 4), law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher, & Flom (No. 2), and Dreamworks (No. 8).


First off, when will the media expose the charade that republicans are the party of Wall Street? They must confuse Goldman Sacs with Sacs Fifth Avenue.

None the less, I intend to boycott Comcast but then I started to wonder what exactly I would have to give up. Seriously, is there a TV show on NBC that anyone watches? I don't watch NBC, MSNBC, G4 E!, Versus or The Golf Channel so this one is a slam dunk for me.

I think the only show I've watched on a comcast network in the past three years was Law and Order and I gave up on that years ago when the villain was always the CEO of a pharmaceutical company.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My list includes GM, GE, and Heinz.

gordon gekko said...

That was just the media groups of my boycotts. Here's a list of some others....

GM, GE, Chrysler, Sheryl Crow, Sean Penn, Alec Baldwin, Barbra Steisand, etc.