Tuesday, October 31, 2006

From Liberal to Libertarian

I'm often asked how does a guy who voted for Mike Dukakis manage to become a flaming libertarian?

The answer is, once one understands that a government that arbitrarily confiscates wealth from one person and gives it to another, regardless of how benevolent the intent, a new moral code has established by the state.

For instance, if the government can steal a $100.00 from me and use it for health care for the poor, then why can't I steal a $100.00 from you on the justification that I can use that money for a better purpose than you might have. It's the exact same rationale.

Growing up in a union home, I was constantly bombarded by messages about "the man" and how the rich were out to hold the working man down. It wasn't until I started meeting "rich" people that I started to get that the "rich" have the same hopes, dreams, and aspirations as others for their children. They tend to be of equal, if not higher, character than the average working class individual. They don't have the time to hold anyone down..... they're working.

If I need to reach my richest clients on a Saturday morning, they won't be on a golf course... they'll be in their offices and factories working. In fact, of my ten wealthiest clients I believe that only one actually owns a set of golf clubs.

Why should someone else have claim to the wealth created by that work and dedication?

No comments: