Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Prescriptions drugs Part Dos

One of the things I've never understood are the patent laws as they pertain to the pharmaceutical industry.

The copyright for "Hey Jude", I believe is 99 years and yet patent protection for a pharmeceutical drug is 15 years, which means that the pharmeceutical companies are under extreme pressure to get out their drugs and, if necessary, promote additional uses of the drug.

I'm no apologist for the pharmceutical companies. If I have to see another commercial telling me there is a drug to cure my toe nail fungus, acid reflux, or for my right butt cheek that sags a little more than the left, I'm going to puke.

Nonetheless, I don't think there is an orchestrated conspiracy to poison the American public.

I remember a guy telling me head and shoulders shampoo made your hair fall out. My only response was if that was true, P&G couldn't sell me any more shampoo. What would be the motivation in that?

No comments: