Saturday, July 18, 2009

Things that make you go ummmm!

I recently rented an office to a guy who needed an office outside of his home. He moved here a few years ago from Texas.

This is an excerpt from a recent conversation.....

Tenant - Is the Loveland tax office run by a bunch of Nazi's?

Gordon - Why do you ask?

Tenant - Because, I've lived here for just about three years and every city return I've filed with the city has been sent back for additional information and/or amounts due.

Gordon - That's kind of common place for many of the suburbs who have clerk's audit every single return filed with the city.

Tenant - I moved here from Texas; you probably know that they don't have an income tax. I'm amazed that despite all the state income tax, sales taxes and these local taxes I pay the roads don't seem any better, the schools are about the same and the basic city services are about the same yet I calculated that I'm paying about two and half times more in taxes for these same services.

Gordon - Welcome to Ohio

If the state ever really wants to understand why we have a major brain and wealth drain out of this state, maybe the ought to consider the insights of this affluent taxpayer, who's only reason for being in this state right now is that it's closer to his parents in Youngstown and his business interests in Indiana and Kentucky.

What exactly is the state doing to keep this guy's wealth, expertise and entrepreneurial spirit in this state?

How does Ohio stack up with the rest of the states in this country?

No comments: