Tuesday, April 06, 2010

How I'm going Galt

I never carry a lot of cash on me. First, it seems like every time I get a $100 out of the ATM the next day I'm wondering what happened to $70.

Second, since I like to keep track of where I'm spending my money I find a debit card forces me to itemize where my spending goes.

Third, it kind of holds me accountable with Mrs. Gekko since she gets the bank statement and sees all my pizza, beer and stripper charges.

Finally, it's always bugged me that a large segment of democrats in this country are made up of people in the tip industry. They're always so liberal except when it comes to actually paying taxes on that tip income. As a result, if I pay with a card, the company has to keep the paper trail on the tips.

But over the weekend I decided that the only way to kill the beast, aka government, is to starve it. As a result I decided that I'm no longer going to worry if Joe Blow pays his taxes or not. In fact, I hope he doesn't. Just because I'm in a profession that requires that I pay my taxes in full doesn't mean I need to police the rest of the world to make sure they do. So I'm no longer going to worry about other's tax liability.

So from here on out, when the Gekko's start doing anything it's going to be cash. When we get things done to the house, I'll start asking for a quote and then the "cash price".

I'll leave it up to those people to pay their taxes accordingly.

The other thing I intend to do is quit paying quarterly taxes. As a self employed individual, I am required to pay quarterly estimates. If you don't pay estimates, you could be subjected to estimated penalties. But I think I'm kind of tired of paying taxes to governments that take their jolly ass time to give you your money back (or in some states, refund your money back at all).

I'm still kicking around some others ideas of "Going Galt" that will zap the government of our money. If you have any ideas, please feel free to note them in the comment section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love ya man, and you can buy me a Bud light at Cindy's