Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hey Obama, do I pay enough?

I'm a little cranky.

I just finished my 3rd straight 14 hour day. I haven't had a day off since mid January.

Nonetheless, I was looking at some numbers for this tax season and I have to be somewhat happy.

I'm probably going to gross an extra $10,000 this tax season for my hard work. Out of that $10,000 I'll have an extra $5,000 in payroll and approximately $1,000 in incremental supplies, utilities, etc.

I don't have a problem doling out $6,000 for an extra $4,000 because I couldn't do it without all those resources.

But wait. I'm not done. See I still need to share that remaining $4,000 with significant others.

I'm in the 28% tax bracket (if you know your tax brackets you'll be able to roughly figure out how much I make). So the feds will get $1,120 for my efforts.

I have to kick in another 15.3 percent for self employment tax. Of course, you could say that this is simply my money that I'll get back in social security and/or medicare benefits. But if I die tomorrow that money doesn't come back to me at all; the feds get to keep it.

Of course, I can't forget Governor Kasich. He gets 5%.

And, of course, my little slice of "Redville" where I earn this money, gets 1% in city income tax and the city where I sleep at night gets yet another .5%.

If you do the math, all those taxes come to just under 50%. That leaves me with roughly $2,000 for my fucking hard work and effort. And exactly what does any of these government jackoffs do to help me produce that extra income?

To date, Obama hasn't dropped off a pizza to my office. Governor Kasich hasn't delivered any paper or answered the phone for me. In fact, these clowns just make it more and more difficult for me to earn even more money.

So if you've been feeling a little depressed lately and you're considering ending it all. Come to Cindy's friendly Tavern Friday night and tell me I don't pay enough in taxes and we'll just call it suicide by accountant.

No comments: