Monday, May 23, 2011

Reader Bernie RIP

I'm currently in Florida for some R&R and frankly I haven't been of the mood to post because of some bad news over the weekend.

In 1995, I left corporate America to run my own accounting tax/practice.

When I got into business at the age of 32, I still thought I knew it all. Until I met Bernie.

Bernie was a class act all the way. He left his company about a year after I started my practice. When we met he asked me what I thought of the asking price for a company he was looking to buy. When I told him I thought it was overpriced by about $100,000, you could see the wheels turning his head and then he casually turned to me and said he could make that up in a year.

That was the kind of guy he was.

He was always looking for a way to make something work. I guess that was the engineering background.

Bernie occasionally checked out the blog and sent me stuff he thought he would be of interest. But frankly he didn't have time for blogging because he was looking to do the next interesting project.

Bernie, died of cancer last weekend and I still seem to be stunned. See, if anyone could have figured out a way to beat cancer, it would be Bernie.

Now, a good friend and mentor is gone and the world is a lessor place because of it.

I don't worry about his afterlife because if God doesn't take care of Bernie, he's not taking care of any of us.

So Bernie, rest in peace. I can only hope to see you again.


No comments: