Tuesday, September 20, 2011

When you've lost David Brooks

I guess the next time David sees a guy with a nice crease in his pants his first go to won't be "this guy will be president".................

Yes, I’m a sap. I believed Obama when he said he wanted to move beyond the stale ideological debates that have paralyzed this country. I always believe that Obama is on the verge of breaking out of the conventional categories and embracing one of the many bipartisan reform packages that are floating around.

But remember, I’m a sap. The White House has clearly decided that in a town of intransigent Republicans and mean ideologues, it has to be mean and intransigent too. The president was stung by the liberal charge that he was outmaneuvered during the debt-ceiling fight. So the White House has moved away from the Reasonable Man approach or the centrist Clinton approach.

It has gone back, as an appreciative Ezra Klein of The Washington Post conceded, to politics as usual. The president is sounding like the Al Gore for President campaign, but without the earth tones. Tax increases for the rich! Protect entitlements! People versus the powerful! I was hoping the president would give a cynical nation something unconventional, but, as you know, I’m a sap.

More.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey David, we already knew you were a dumbfuck. Really, there's no need for you to put it on full editorial display. How is it that 50,000,000 Americans could see this coming in August of 2008 but only now after 3 years are you enlightened. I'm in awe of your stupidity.