Monday, November 28, 2011

Something about Tim

I try to not watch the NFL. Any business model that can line the pockets of a douchebag like Mike Brown doesn't need my support.

None the less, I am an avid sports fan and I do listen to talk radio when the topic isn't exclusively pro sports.

With that said, what the hell is it about Tim Tebow?

I couldn't tell you the names of quarterbacks in San Francisco, Seattle, Jacksonville, Tampa, etc. yet I know every thing about Tim Tebow outside of a rectal exam.

What's most unnerving is the negative, almost mocking coverage of this guy. For the past few weeks I've heard Merrill Hoge, Colin Cowherd, Mike and Mike, etc. flat out make fun of this guy as some sort of freak show disguised as an NFL quarterback. And all he's done is win games for his team.

But it really goes beyond the sports talking heads of ESPN. People who have little, if any, knowledge of sports have to ridicule this guy. Bill Maher, Matt Taibbi, and, for all I know, Joy Behar mock this guy. Why?

I've come to the conclusion that it's because he's an outspoken Christian. Seriously, do you think any of these people would spend one moment trying to drag this guy down if he were your garden variety NFL thug?

When I was involved in a number of Bible study groups, many would speak figuratively of "evil winds" that were always whirling and circling looking for opportunities to bring down the devout. The Screwtape Letters is an excellent book describing how Satan uses opportunity to bring people down. For some reason, I've always tended to minimize the impact of evil in the world. It's always felt like a way to minimize our own failures to temptation.

But when you see all these media types praying to their non existent god that Tim Tebow be cast into their non existent hell along with Sarah Palin, it really starts to make you a believer.

So you keep going Tim, win more games. I will always be a huge fan of anyone who pisses off Bill Maher.




No comments: