Monday, June 11, 2012

Why citizens hate public sector unions

Every once in a while the Lovely Mrs. Gekko will tell me that some of her coworkers are grumbling about a union at her work place.

For about the fifth time I simply say "Pick the worst emplyee on your floor. Those will be your co workers afer the union gets in."

If the union wants to know why they're losing support from the public it allegedly works for. They may want to consider this............


Nelson Hamm, who lives in Devou Park, says he was sitting on his couch Thursday afternoon when he noticed his 3-year-old Golden Retriever, Nala, run up to the mail truck.

"He started up and I said, ‘get outta there Nala, get outta there,' and he started up over her, but he couldn't get all the way over her head and neck," said Hamm, "He backed down and went up again and couldn't get over her, then he backed up a third time and the tires were spinning and smoke was coming out of her neck."

At first, Hamm thought Nala was okay.

"She got up and I thought, ‘My God she's alright,' but she wasn't," said Hamm. "She came inside the door, fell on the floor and I kissed her nose and she licked me and dropped dead."

Hamm said the mailman went up the street and went about his business like nothing happened. "My buddy who he delivered some stuff to said, ‘Did you see how fast that guy was going?' and I said, ‘Yea, I saw him,'" said Hamm. "He said, ‘I wonder why?' and I said, ‘I know why. My dog's laying there dead in the house."

The postal inspector in Covington is investigating the matter, but told Hamm's neighbors that the carrier admitted to running over the dog. The carrier told his boss that he saw the dog go back inside the house and didn't realize the dog had died.


Here's what you can bank on. This guy's union will protect him to no ends and he won't miss one day's pay.

And they'll all wonder why people don't think they deserve the pensions they're getting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love teachers, police, and firefighters. For the most part they do their jobs professionally.

What I don't love are when public unions abuse the power that comes from them being in a monopolistic position. (For example, only certified police can enforce the law. Only certified educators can teach.) It puts them in an unfair negotiating position. "Give us what we want or we won't put out fires. And it's against the law for someone else to do it"

I understand the need for a fair wage but the public unions have used their enormous power to negotiate unaffordable long term benefits. Politicians, looking for the easy way out, have given into demands that that our children can't make good on.

A private sector union would have run their employer out of business by now. But public sector unions have been allowed to exist because government prints their paycheck dollars. It will not end well.