Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Who will she vote for? #1011

Meet Katie Brotherton. Why is she in the news?





My pursuit in excellent education is rooted in a value system that promotes progressive thought for the betterment of the individual as well as society. Education is a core tenet and vested interest of the functioning democratic society. Upon that basic assumption and principle, I am overwhelmingly incensed by the silent epidemic of crippling student debt.

At 25 years old, I have $188,307.22 in student debt, all of which is my sole financial responsibility.
That exorbitant number was abetted by easy lending with a co-signer, negligence and lack of awareness, over-borrowing and the exponential growth of tuition.

I work both a full-time and part-time job, and abide by a strict budget. Yet, I still sleep in my parent’s basement and am dependent for food, gas and health insurance.
I am told I am not alone.

However, this particularly sensitive conversation is being ignored by our mainstream consciousness. Perhaps I should be ashamed for buying such an unaffordable education and internalize my debts as personal failures. Perhaps my mistakes warrant pained silence. But silence breeds apathy, and in regard to the welfare of the American economy, I want to humanize the numbers and give voice to this reprehensible problem.

What's missing in her rant is what she received in this "investment" in her future.

The word from various local talk shows is that she received a degree in English.

Seriously?

It never dawned on this person that maybe $190k in debt for an English degree qualifies you for what exactly?

She spent $190k for a degree when 15 minutes of on the job training at you local Starbucks qualifies you for a lucrative barista position.

I'll give her this. She is giving voice to a problem. We are educating kids who have no cognitive thinking ability.

Just think about those kids in the Chicago city schools. Will the literacy rate actually go up while the kids are out of school?

None the less, despite her overwhelming stupidity, she'll be allowed to vote this fall. Will she cast her ballot for Obama or Romney?

More.........




No comments: