Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Why I am a conservative - The Public School edition

Years ago, I was dating a fabulously liberal woman seriously enough that people were asking us about kids and such.

Since we both lived inside the city of Cincinnati, I just assumed we would continue to live there and send our kids to private schools instead of Cincinnati Public Schools.

But when posed with the question, Ms. "Progressive" said "I'm still a champion of public schools".

Then I asked her. "So you would be willing to send your kids to CPS schools?"

"Well no, I would probably want to move out to the suburbs"

I responded "isn't that so nice and white and liberal of you"

Needless to say, it didn't work out for us. But the point is as a conservative it's in my best interest to make sure that city schools stay shitty. Why add any competition to the work force? My family is going to see to it that their kids get a quality education regardless of whether that means public or private schooling.

It puts all of my nieces and nephews at a competitive advantage.

So why are so many of my conservative brethren for school choice? Because we have empathy for people who don't have the ability to move out to West Chester (OH) to allow for their kids to get a quality education.

With competition, we would also see public schools working to make sure their kids could read before assigning them to their respective bathrooms and could do a multiplication table before understanding diversity quotas.

So say what you'd like about conservatives being all for stuff that enriches them. Ask a liberal what's in it to protect our status quo.





No comments: