Sunday, August 10, 2008

It's their own fault

Debra Saunders laments the demise of the newspapers.

Not for the first time, The Chronicle is offering buyouts to a large number of workers - at least 125 people for a paper that employs around 1,680 souls. Other industries have been through this drill, too. Longtime staff members weigh whether they can keep careers in an ailing, perhaps dying, industry.

I've seen some excellent professionals walk out of The Chronicle's doors. It's heartbreaking, even though we don't yet now how staff reductions might affect the gathering of news.

If newspapers go down, they have no one to blame but themselves.

As I've said before, the longer it takes to get the news to the consumer the more depth it has to be.

Look, I'm a big newspaper guy. But my morning paper is nothing but a conglomeration of AP new releases that I just read the night before on the internet or heard on radio or watched on TV.

I look to my daily newspaper to bring something new to a story above and beyond a headline. Instead, I get more Drudge.

Or maybe an exclusive telling that gas costs more on the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't have any thing to do with the leftist, biased reporting either.

Anonymous said...

One of my memories of growing up was watching my parents read the paper. It meant you were grownup and interested in the world around you, and that was important. It mean it was important to be informed and knowledgeable about the world around you, not just your own little town or even your state. I hate to see that sentiment disappear. Too many people today are interested in non-news like who is the next "Dancing with the stars" contestant. The future of the nation and its economy are in the hands of each citizen, yet too many care too little.

gordon gekko said...

My mom used to be amazed that as a ten year old I would read the op-ed section of the paper and then ask her to by me a National Enquirer when she went grocery shopping.

Little did I know how informed I would be on politics.