Friday, August 29, 2008

The politics of abortion

I was curious to see other blogger's thoughts on the Palin nomination and I ran into this little barb over at Jill's
For women’s vote, Eleanor Clift says: Clinton asked are you for me or the issues I stand for? Overturning Roe will now come up. How will she perform - like Dan Quayle and not up to it or dazzle us and make us think she can step in?

I've never understood why abortion is the one and only issue for some women; especially those past child bearing age.

First, we went through Reagan, Bush I and Bush II administrations. They were all allegedly pro life and despite 20 of the last 28 years of these pro life candidates, Roe v Wade still stands. It's not going anywhere.

Second, even if Roe V. Wade is overturned, a woman will still be able to chop up the baby in her womb at anytime because states will never be able to place significant abortion restrictions into law.

See, right now it's easy to be pro life because the you can always blame abortion on the Supreme Court. If, by some act of God, it's overturned, many of those "pro life" elected officials are going to be hiding in corners.

Third, if you are a woman that holds this issue so dearly and you are absolutely certain that you do not want a baby. I have an idea, don't get pregnant in the first place. If you can take the time and energy to worry about your elected officials taking away your "right", you have more than enough energy to avoid a pregnancy in the first place.

Maybe a woman past child bearing age can clue me in on why they'd vote for a pro abortion male over a pro life woman.

5 comments:

Jill said...

Now now - let's be fair - you know that I don't vote or make choices based on a single issue and that post I wrote that contained that tweet certainly demonstrates that I'm not a one-issue voter.

Please - if you want to find voters who are one-issue and the issue is abortion, find another torchbearer. It's not me.

gordon gekko said...

I believe this came from your blog

"Me: this is a HUGE miscalculation based on thinking that women chose Clinton because she’s a woman. That voter did it because she’s a pro-choice woman, not because she’s female."

You've made it sound as though the decision making tree for women starts with abortion, yes or no?, then moves on from there.

Jill said...

Gordon - you need to get with Twitter, honey! And again - you are taking it out of context - there is an entire stream of comments that I introduced as coming one by one as I was listening - so I was reacting.

Twitter - meet Gordon - Gordon - meet Twitter.

But to be clear - your interpretation could not be more wrong re: decisions for women start with abortion. If that were true, Palin would be an absolute disastrous choice - because any woman who is anti-choice is already voting against the Dem ticket.

Maybe it's the anti-choice women you know who are single-issue?

Ce n'est pas moi. :)

gordon gekko said...

I'm just reading your post.

The fact is, any woman who makes abortion their number one issue would never vote for McCain in the first place.

I'm sure his campaign already knows this.

My whole point is that if abortion is your only issue, you need not worry. It's not going away in our life times. You need not see Sarah Palin as a threat to the tomb of abortion.

I actually don't think I know any "Anti-choice" women. If I do they've never made their beliefs known to me.

Jill said...

I actually and honestly do not really understand what you're saying because I've not analyzed the candidates in such a narrow-minded way.

I was advising you against using me as emblematic of voters who you seem to believe exist who do - I'm sure they exist - but they don't visit my blog and I don't visit theirs. I don't think I even know anyone who votes solely on abortion.