Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day

Happy belated Father's Day. I was out visiting my dad yesterday and didn't get a chance to post.

Let me start by saying that I believe that fathers are the largest missing natural resource to our society.

My dad was far from perfect, as few are. But when I think of what my life would have been like without a father living in my home, it's not pretty.

I seriously doubt there would have been a high school graduation in my future; let alone a college one. Given the neighborhood and friends that I maintained, I'm certain the penal system would have become all to familiar.

If my father had used his father as a role model, I wouldn't have even known him at all.

The fact is, for a guy who never graduated from high school and never knew his own father, he somehow managed to raise five kids who have all become productive citizens.

I think that makes for a good dad.

No comments: