Saturday, August 22, 2009

Social networking

I'm still catching up on the social networking gig.

So far, I've found Twitter to be absolutely worthless. I'm still trying to figure out how to most effectively utilize Facebook, My Space and Linked In.

Frankly, much of what my "friends" are posting on Facebook is crap. I really don't see the need to post my whereabouts 24/7.

I did break down and put my Facebook link on the blog if you'd like to be my "friend". If you are someone who uses these sites for something worthwhile, clue me in. What am I missing? I'd like to use these for something worthwhile, but i'm not sure what that exactly looks like.

Please help me in the comment section.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twitter is worthless.
MySpace is worthless (now).
Facebook and LinkedIn are the networks of preference, Facebook being for personal matters and LinkedIn for professional ones. My mom and a bunch of other family members across the country are on Facebook and my mom signed up because her church group used Facebook to coordinate/communicate. LinkedIn is good for networking professionally when you need an accountant/lawyer/etc, or in my case, candidates (as a recruiter).

Facebook is widely abused and treated like Twitter where we're supposed to care about your actions every 2 hours, but you can click "hide this person" from your newsfeed and it's gone :)

Jeremy

Mark Lee said...

Ref your comment that =twitter is useless - this accord with a piece I wrote on the ambitious accountants blog that twitter is not for accountants.

More recently I've added a case study and a piece about the biggest misconception concerning twitter - and your piece above seems to reinforce it. If you don't like the rubbish you see on twitter then don't follow the people who post it. I only follow people (and thus only see) tweets I'm likely to find of interest.

Mark Lee said...

Ref your comment that twitter is useless - this accords with a piece I wrote a while back, on the ambitious accountants blog, that twitter is not for accountants.

More recently I've started to revise my view and have added a case study and a piece about the biggest misconception concerning twitter. Your piece above seems to reinforce it. If you don't like the rubbish you see on twitter then don't follow the people who post it. I only follow people (and thus only see tweets) I'm likely to find of interest.