Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why health care costs keep climbing


I'm old enough to remember that people didn't call it insurance, but hospitalization, because insurance companies didn't pay a dime until you had a major medical situation.

Doctors appointments, meds, routine procedures were paid out of pocket by the consumer of the care involved.

When third parties pick up the tab, there's less incentive for anyone to watch their consumption of medical care.

I'm no different. Ten years ago, I had an inpatient surgical procedure. I never asked one person what something was going to cost. While my situation was chronic, I would have damn well lived with the pain if my procedure would have cost me ten thousand out of my own pocket.

For you people who have this inclination to believe in the "science" of global warming, how is it that you can't grasp this concept?

Once again, let me lay out the two quasi medical procedures where there is no third party pays and what has happened to the costs.....

They are Laser eye surgery and cosmetic surgery. I recently met a guy who offered me a deal for laser eye surgery ($500.00 an eye). When you consider the advances in the technology the price of this procedure is actually going down.

In addition, boob jobs were once the domain for the rich and famous. Now? You can get a botox injection in a beauty salon. You can fund a boob job, tummy tuck, ear lobe reduction on your VISA.

But we don't want to confront the real issues surrounding health care. Instead, we want to base a solution on a non existing problem.

Just remember, there's a difference between coverage and treatment and The Obamunists are going to give us one without the other.

No comments: