Monday, May 03, 2010

Summer concerts start

Last night, Gordon and the Lovely Mrs. Gekko (my no drama mama), headed up to Columbus for the start of our summer concert attendance.

Mrs. Gekko, is the real music fan in our family. Gordon basically puts his satellite radio on Deep Tracks and keeps it there. It's probably no coincidence that I believe that the end of rock and roll occurred when Journey released "Oh Sherry". For me, REM is considered a new, hip band.

None the less, we caught My Morning Jacket last night and let me say, I haven't heard a band with such good guitar riffs since Van Halen was in their prime. These guys can flat out jam. If you get a chance to catch a show of theirs. Do so.

Notes from the day.

That Arena District in Columbus is pretty cool....... if places were actually open. C'mon there was a concert going and the Clippers were in town and yet half the places were closed.

The Lifestyles Community Pavilion is a great venue for a show. Maybe Mark Mallory and Company should quit blowing taxpayer money on a choo choo train through town and look into getting a place like this in down town Cincinnati.

I still don 't get the deal with the pot smoking. I'm going to assume the tree these people smoke is much better than the stuff I smoked as an adolescent but I grew out of that 20 years ago. Maybe I shouldn't complain. After all, I knew I was getting a contact buzz when I started waxing philosophic about Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

The summer shows in Cincinnati are down this year so the Gekko's are planning some out of town travel to catch some better acts. We're heading to Summerfest for a couple of shows and contemplating a Bonoroo run.

If you go to a show and you hear a middle aged dude talking about Pink Floyd and The Wizard of OZ make sure you say high.

No comments: