Sunday, May 02, 2010

Wanted - a "progressive" take on immigration

Before you accuse me of xenophobia, just know that I don't care how many immigrants come into this country..... legally.

My current client base consists of people from Jamaica, Mexico, Columbia, Venezuela, Pakistan, India, Kuwait, Jordan, France, Germany, Russia, Serbia, England, and Canada. I understand why people want to be here and I have no problem with them coming and adding to our Great American Culture.

But really, can anyone give me one good reason to allow amnesty to people who are here illegally? Let me repeat ILLEGALLY.

There's a reason we and every country on this earth have a border and defends that border (well except the US - Mexican border). It's a public safety hazard to not know who's here.

Like a term paper outline I can give you all the reasons an unsecured border hurts Americans and the people looking to get here.

I) It's unsafe for the illegals locating here.

Let's start with the trip here. Many die just on the trip. Many are kidnapped and sold into the sex trade.

Often at the border, parents have to leave behind children because the coyotes don't want to deal with them. The children (many as young as ten) are told to just get to LA, Phoenix, San Diego and find the parents.

Some of the kids are killed getting on rail cars or are kidnapped and/or sexually assaulted on the trip.

If people knew the border was a non starter, they wouldn't even be tempted to make the trip and, consequently, victimized.

Once here, illegals tend to congregate in communities, many of them are victims of crimes because perpetrators know they won't go to law enforcement to talk for fear of deportation.

While it's romantic to believe that many of the people coming here are hard working folks trying to make a living, the fact is, many of these illegals are criminals escaping the law in their native countries. Nearly all of the MS-13 gangs are illegal immigrants from El Salvador doing nothing but victimizing other immigrants and actual citizens.

Do you want to offer amnesty to these thugs?

Just here in the Cincinnati area we had a 10 year old girl raped by an illegal. A group of four illegals stabbed to death by another illegal, the list goes on and on.

My wife just told me a story about a suspected illegal who was just dumped at their emergency room where he died of what they suspect was alcohol poisoning. Does it serve this man or his family not to know his identity?

II) It hurts blue collar working American Citizens

There are businesses out there who seek to use illegal labor because it's cheap and if the worker gets hurt the business owner just throws them away like a broken circular saw.

Why would you defend a system that perpetuates worker abuse?

In addition, illegals allow unscrupulous businesses to prey on these people either by screwing them on consumer products. Do we really want an environment here where scumbags thrive and ordinary law abiding businesses suffer a competitive disadvantage?

Finally, illegals suck government resources that low income American workers can use. I think that's pretty self explanatory.

Once again, I don't know why we can't have a system that

1) Closes our border.....effectively. If we can't even do that everything else is moot.
2) Require all immigrants to be fingerprinted with a DNA sample, checked for a criminal background and if they meet that criteria, issued a Work permit to work freely in the US under US law.

It wouldn't bother me to have 30 million working immigrants here as long as everyone of them can be accounted for and are actually contributing to our great American Culture.

I don't see how you can even argue against that.

9 comments:

Sidney Independent said...

I don't know of anyone arguing for more illegal immigration. My problem with the issue is the scapegoating of all hispanics and the "we speak English here" rednecks.
I am close to being militant about my civil rights and I do not appreciate them being flushed down the toilet just to detain a few illegal immigrants.

They need to take a long hard look at the drug laws and see where they are going wrong in controling the gang activity. Americans love drugs, especially marijuana. Maybe if the government took a reality pill they would see how futile the war on drugs really is and go after the human traffickers who should be their #1 priority.

gordon gekko said...

So what is your solution about the millions of illegal immigrants in this country?

You can stereotype anti illegal immigration folks as "we speak English rednecks" but the fact is if I go to Germany will I be more or less successful if I learn German over insisting that the German government and businesses operate to accommodating my lack of communication skills?

Your comment speaks more to your own biases than those rednecks.

SidneyIndependent said...

Germanany has a high percentage of bilingual citizens. The EU has 24 official languages. Business is conducted successfully within the EU countries without English being dictated as the official language. It isn't even an issue.

Resenting people for speaking a different language is just another reason to mindlessly hate people who are different from you. This is America, people are supposed to be allowed to be different.

AS far as what I would do, first I would revamp the drug laws. I would legalize marijuana and open up legal trade with mexico on the product. This would decrease a big portion of the cartels business and would allow focus on human trafficking and harder substances. In the long run this will decrease the amount of violent criminals coming across the border.

I would not just increase security at the border but partner with the Mexican governemnt to help create stability in mexican states closest to the U.S. border, uphold law and order and decrease corruption. This is another reason people are risking their lives to come here.

I would go after employers who knowingly hire illegals. I have worked in personel, I do not buy that they don't know they are hiring illegals.

Illegals who have been here awhile and have children that are U.S. citizens the only thing to do is to provide a legal path the citizenship. yes this will piss people off but there isn't any better option.

Felons should be sent back.

gordon gekko said...

Boy, that sounds a lot like the Arizona law to me.

But why should a business be penalized for hiring someone people like you don't want to have removed in the first place?

Shouldn't those people work?

Sidney Independent said...

The reason most of the people come here is to find work. (Yes, there are criminals that are here who are up to no good, but according to FBI reports, crime in Arizona has been decreasing steadily over the past 5 years.)

Like I said before, nobody is in favor of MORE illegal immigration, or that Arizona has its own bill. It is the civil rights issues that effect all of us that we have a problem with. I am unwilling to hand them over for any reason.

So you want employers to be awarded for hiring illegals? Shouldn't they share some of the blame and responsibility for illegal immigrants being able to take root for a lifetime?

Anonymous said...

I have a simple answer. If you come into this country Illegally you are breaking a law. We shouldn't try to track and deport. But if you contact any institution (police, hospital, etc.) you should be required to register as an illegal, submit DNA/fingerprints, and obtain an IRS number (not a social). As long as you don't commit a crime and register your number when working, you will not be harassed by law enforcement.

On the employment side, register illegals should be allowed to work in the open, and employers should be compelled to provide all madatory pay and benefits required of legal workers (min wage, workers comp, FIC, OSHA, etc.) under penalty of jail. Doing so would make illegals about as attractive to hire as legals.

Only if the illegal breaks the law would immigration status come into play at which point he would be deported or jailed. The result would be a job market that would be open, fair and less of an incentive to be underground.

SidneyIndependent said...

The problem with that is hospitals are not government instutions and should not be in the business of registering citizens.

Plus, it sounds like something from the sci-fi channel.

Anonymous said...

Every time I've received medical service I have to fill out 100 forms. My name, ssn, and medical records go into a computer. They know where I live and they bill me. If I don't comply with these requirements I will be told to go away.

I believe illegals should be required to register as I am. And if they cannot prove identity they should be denied service as I wod be. If they register but cannot prove citizenship then their info should be forwarded to the government. SO THE GOVT CAN HAVE AT LEAST AS MUCH INFO on illegals as they do on me. Why is that like sci fi?

gordon gekko said...

I do think it's more than prudent to expect more information about people coming into this country than we have on it's native citizens.

For instance, have these people had vaccinations? What's their current medical condition? Criminal backgrounds.

What I can't get my arms around are those folks who want to seem to let these people stay here but punish employers for hiring them.

Huh?

So we're going to put the responsibility of our immigration issues on employers who do not have the infrastructure to police this over the people who are supposed to (the government).

So we're going to turn our head to people who shouldn't be here and crack the nuts of companies who hire them because their not supposed to be here?

That makes no sense to me at all.