Friday, July 02, 2010

Does anyone have insurance anymore?

As hundreds of business owners shuffle through the claims process to recover losses caused by the oil disaster, BP's promise that it will "deny no legitimate claim" is taking on a bitter meaning.

"They have not denied our claim. They have just not paid it all," said Tommy Holmes, owner of Outcast Marine, a fishing-tackle supply company in Pensacola.

Holmes lost $73,000 in May and expects losses in June to exceed $100,000. BP has paid him $26,000 for May and refuses to pay the rest, he says. Holmes plans to sue them.

"They're nickel and diming us — and they're getting away with it," he said.


Question. Doesn't anyone carry business interruption insurance anymore? Seriously, if the neighbor next to my business were to have a fire and, because of collateral damage, my business could not open, I have insurance to cover my loss.

When hurricane Ike caused week long power outages in the midwest, I had several clients submit claims for the loss of business during that week or two.

I guess now I'm the stupid one....... Paying that money out when all I should do is sit on my roof and wait for someone to bail me out.

More.....


No comments: