Thursday, August 19, 2010

Life in "Progress" City - Cincinnati edition

One of my guilty pleasures in life is to head down to the Ohio River on Wednesdays and drink a few liquid breads down at Yeatman's Cove and watch the bands.

Before I get to this story I need to preface it with a Cincinnati geography lesson. Near downtown, the city has a few parks that line the Ohio River. Nearly every weekend there is some type of festival down there. Name some sort of food, drink or entertainment idea and they'll have it sometime during the summer down there.

Last night, I headed down to Party in the Park when the parking guy told me that I had to walk around 100 yards of chain link fence to get into the park. No big deal but i was wondering why the fencing all around the park.

Anyway a buddy of mine told me that it was for the Black Family Reunion going on this weekend.

Me. The Black Family Reunion? That's a free festival right?

Him Yeah

Me What the hell is the fencing for?

Him To force people to go through metal detectors.

Seriously, what does it say about a community that can't even have an (alleged) family friendly festival without frisking everyone for guns?

Bringing guns to the family reunion?

Now that's "Progressive"!

No comments: