Thursday, August 12, 2010

When will parents learn

In an all too familiar tragedy related to kids and cars..........

A speeding motorist fleeing an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper on northbound I-75 overnight died when he crashed into a semi parked on the side of the highway, according to the Highway Patrol’s Hamilton post.

The driver was identified as Jordan Day, 16, of West Chester Township. The Lakota East High School student had sped up to more than 130 mph when he crashed, patrol officials said.

Day, who was going to be a junior this fall and would have turned 17 on August 31, moved to West Chester with his family from Chico, Calif., at this time last year. He was the top golfer on the Lakota East golf team and was considered by his coach, Jeff Combs, to be one of the top players in Southwest Ohio.

The crash occurred just south of the Ohio 63 exit, near the rest stop.

The pursuit began about 12:30 a.m. when Trooper J.S. Wickman clocked a white 1998 Lexus GS 400 driving 122 mph on the highway near the Union Centre Boulevard exit in West Chester Township, said Lt. Wayne Price, commander of the Hamilton post.


First, what parent in their right mind would allow a 16 year old kid to drive a car that could do 130/mph?

Second, what is a kid doing out at 12:30 at night during the week?

In many respects, I'm so glad that my family was not affluent when I was a kid. I drove a 1972 Ford Pinto I paid $500.00 for. That car wouldn't go 60 if you rolled it down Pike's Peak with a headwind. Since we had little, it saved a lot of trouble since I never even had to ask. I already knew the answer.

I hate to think what I would have done with a car that would do 130/mph. Probably ended up like Jordan here.

Every time I read one of these stories I ask myself, when parents are going to deny their kids crap even though they can afford it? But within a month there's going to be another kid killed just like this one and it's not like the parents weren't warned ahead of time.

More.....

No comments: