Thursday, September 08, 2011
Here's shovel ready for you
So Obama plans to invest in infrastructure.
Hey O, here's a truly shovel ready project for you........ replacing the Brent Spence Bridge.
The case for using federal money to replace this bridge.
1) It's a death trap. As you can see from the photo to the side there's no turn off areas for distressed vehicles. As a result, we've had several instances where a car has rammed a stalled car on the bridge. Last spring, a driver got thrown over the side from this issue.
2) It handles 6 times the travel it was originally designed for.
3) It links two freeways and I-75 is the major corridor linking Michigan to Florida.
4) the cost is estimated to be roughly $10 billion. Kentucky and Ohio keeps paddling back and forth as to who picks up what costs. The feds could alleviate some of that burden.
5) How many good engineering, construction (union that is) and architectural jobs would be created by replacing this shovel ready bridge?
So Mr. President, can we expect to see one of those cool recovery signs over this bridge by next summer?
I'm not holding my breath.