Friday, November 10, 2006

Issue 2 maybe a positive?

I was listening to a talk show last night on the issue 2 subject.

I was aware that issue 2 allowed "interested parties" to review the payroll records of a particular company. It seemed to me like a forgone conclusion that this was a labor union ploy to allow unions to review payroll records of a company so they could develop an organizing strategy.

However, last night an alternative strategy was proposed. What if I want to leave Company A for Company B for a new sales job. I interview with Company B and they agree to hire me contingent on a review of my payroll file with the other company. As part of that review, they can discern my current level of pay, disciplinary action, etc.

Company B could use that information as a way of holding my compensation package down since they already know what my current salary is.... therefore the salary I might settle on.

Since too many companies refuse to provide a quality employment reference, it might be a way for a company to do more a thorough pre employment screening prior to hiring.

No comments: