Last night I had and interesting discussion with a young woman regarding global warming. I'll pose to you the questions I posed to her.
1) NASA has come out with a report showing that Mars has been warming. Is it possible that whatever is causing the Mars warming might be the causing the same thing here, likely in increase in Solar heat and radiation? After all, just a slight tilting of the planet's axis results in a 80 degree temperature swing on average. Isn't it possible that a few extra solar flares would cause a 5 degree temperature change?
2) Is it possible that the earth goes through natural period of warming and cooling, IE the Ice Age and subsequent retracting of glaciers and this is just one of those transitions?
3) Let's assume that man is the cause of global warming... What's so bad about it?
4) Remember Acid Rain? It was going to be the end all of the Great Lakes. To my knowledge, we are kicking out more sulfur emissions than we did 20 years ago and yet that problem just went away. Isn't it possible that Al Gore and various "scientists" realize that they only get notoriety and funding for studies when there are "problems"? How do you get government funding when everything is OK? Would you go to an Al Gore movie titled Earth - the Perfect Temperature.
5) I keep hearing about all this research for alternative fuels sources, yet the most efficient fuel source we have to date, nuclear power, is a no no. If you believe that global warming exists, would you be a proponent of nuclear power plant production so we can start eliminating coal burning, carbon dioxide spewing coal plants?
6) When I had 8th grade biology we learned that plant life breathed in CO2 and exhaled O2 and we humans inhaled O2 and exhaled CO2. If that is true, wouldn't carbon dioxide increases be great for plant life on the planet?
7) Don't you really believe that Al Gore is the ultimate hypocrite on this issue? Whenever he does a presentation, he could very easily do it from a remote location and teleconference it across the planet; like corporate America does each and every day. Yet he finds the need to get into a private jet and kick out huge amounts of CO2 and then have a five car entourage complete with SUVs take him to some fund raiser. If he really believed in global warming, would he do this and would he own four huge ass homes that he keeps heated and cooled year round? It reminds me of when Sting did a concert in the Amazon to save the rain forest and they had to cut down 20 acres of trees to get the facility set up.
8) What do you propose as a solution? What are you doing to make a difference? There's a place on your state of Ohio tax form that allows you to pay into various environmental and natural resource funds. Have you made any contributions to those funds?
A few years ago, I met a woman from Phoenix yapping about SUV's and yet her commute to work was over 40 miles one way. So she was more than happy to get rid of the SUVs but, by God, no one should tell her she should live closer to work and/or take public transportation.
I'll tell you what, when the first environmentalist offs themselves because of their use of the world's resources, I'll start worrying about global warming. Got to go.... I need to get my recycle bin to the curb.