Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sports or Reality Show

I rarely read a USA Today because their coverage of the news usually consists of where Lindsay, Paris, and Brittany's next rehab assignment will be.

I happened to pick one up today and let me list each of the headlines on the front page of the Sports section.

- Beckham won't make Galaxy Trip to Dallas
- Michigan, Notre Dame extend to 2031
- Phelps tries out new strokes for Beijing
- NASCAR TV ratings below '06 race
- Legend changed face of football
- Man in Vick case makes plea deal
- Castillo Teixeira head to NL
- Celtics trade for Garnett
- Bush all Business

Do you see a common theme here?

Not one of these articles has to do with anything related to performance on the field or court.

Granted yesterday was a slow sports day, but this is more the norm than the exception anymore. I used to be a huuuuge pro sports fan, but I'm not really interested in a bunch of crap not related to what actually happens on the field.

Sports by itself is a reality show. Highs and lows, upsets, domination, comebacks, etc. We don't need the drama of all the crap outside the field to make sport interesting.

Even as boring a game as baseball is, writers like Jim Murray and Red Smith could describe the field action in a way that would make Survivor watchers envious.

Instead of reading this crap in the paper I think I'm going to just get my hard news from FNC, at least the anchors provide for some nice eye candy.

No comments: