Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Rankings

Last week, I noted how ridiculous college football rankings are and how they're loaded in favor of the big programs.

So I drank with glee when I saw the Michigan score Saturday night.

But my displeasure with rankings just showed through with the release of today's top 25 rankings.

You'll notice that Michigan at least dropped out of the Top 25 yet still received votes for the Top 25 in both the he AP and USA Today coming out in 34 and 27 respectively.

How do you justify giving any votes to a team that was just beaten on their home field by a Division 1-AA program? How do you justify voting them ahead of Brigham Young?

But Gordon they are just rankings, they really don't matter.

Except that they do matter. I guarantee the BCS championship game is going to be played by two teams in the top 10 which was set up before one team even touched a ball.

In Michigan's case, they'll be eligible for a much better bowl simply because they started ahead of BYU before the season starts.

So in the meantime, I can still hope the MAC pulls through in the Big Eleven - MAC challenge.

No comments: