Saturday, July 11, 2009

Dylan goes electric


The Lovely Mrs. Gekko has been on a Bob Dylan kick of late so she talked me into going to the Bob Dylan Show at Fifth Third Field in Dayton last night. I'm glad she did.

The line up of Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp and Bob Dylan proved to be the best show for the buck you'll ever see. Trust me. You don't have to be a big fan of their music to appreciate the craftsmanship of their trade.

Notes..............

Willie - It took all of about one minute of music before I got my first wiff of ganja. After the first three songs, I had an incredible craving for Cheetos and Pink Floyd. When the show was over, I kept having flashbacks to my lava lamp and black light posters.

When people watch guitar players, they tend to look at the left hand on the guitar. What separates the great ones is what they can do with their right hand. Nelson's son Jacob, takes a back seat to few when it comes to his guitar play.

Willie, I realize you are 76, but let's work on those triceps buddy. They looked like sheets hanging off a clothes line.



Mellancamp - I haven't see Mellancamp since September of 1980 when he opened for The Kinks as John Cougar and The Zone. Much my hair line, little was recognizable from that show.

Back then, there was no fiddle and/or an accordion. Now there's no Hot Night Cold Town. Like all the shows last night, Mellancamp did an excellent job of giving the fans the songs they wanted and yet moving on with a new style.

Have you heard the PSA where one in eight Americans struggles with hunger? I don't personally know an American that struggles with hunger but Mellancamp's violinist obviously does.

Give the poor girl a cheeseburger John.

Dylan - I was expecting a country/blues/acoustic
Lyle Lovett type of show from Dylan.

Boy, was I wrong. The band came out rockin'.

The only songs I knew by name were Highway 61, Like a Rolling Stone and All Along the Watchtower.

It actually probably helped that I never knew all his stuff, since I woundn't be waiting the whole night for him to play my favorites. Instead, I could just kick back and listen to the band kick ass.

None of the performers were what I would call showman. They all seem to spend more of their energy making the music right. And I would much rather have that than some drunk come out on stage with the "Thank You, name your city, Last night we ate at city's proclaimed best restaurant, and had something really good.

Tonight, the Gekko's are off the see The Fabulous Thunderbirds. If I can get over my contact high from the Willie fans from last night.

No comments: