Tuesday, August 04, 2009

How to cut down on medical costs

About ten years ago, I got involved with a talking head, ding dong who lived in New York (call it a rebound, midlife crisis relationship).

I always found it hilarious that this woman was taking an anti-depressant (Wellbutrin) yet found a way to continue her consumption of vodka gimlets. Some times, she would actually down her meds with the vodka.

When I asked her if she ever considered dropping the booze to help her "depression" issues, she looked at me like I had three heads (maybe that was the vodka). It never occurred to her that her lifestyle (diet, exercise, alcohol consumption) might actually be a contributor to her depression issues.

Last week, I went to the eye doctor and he told me I needed to see my GP because my blood pressure was really high. Now, for the record, old Gordon thinks the food pyramid consists of beer, pizza, donuts, nachos and ice cream; none of which help a blood pressure issue. So before I could go in the see my GP, I radically changed my diet and really started watching the crap I fuel my body with. Within a week and a half, my blood pressure is down about 20 points. Accomplished without aid of a script.

Now for me, I will resist till the day I die having to take a daily med for some condition. In addition, I have a high deductible insurance with an HSA account so any med is coming right out of my pocket. So I also have a financial interest in not taking meds.

But it has me wonder; how much of our medical costs are wrapped up in taking meds for conditions that could be solved by simple lifestyle changes?

When I see a report that 27 million are taking anti depressants, I'm thinking that it's a lot.

How much of our medical costs are wrapped up in treating conditions resulting from lifestyle choices (diabetes, blood pressure, heart disease, etc.) that people continue even after diagnoses? My guess is we could collectively save billions if people were forced to pay for these scripts out of pocket. They might decide the lifestyle change is cheaper.

Except for Ms. Talking Head........... that vodka is just too tasty.

No comments: