Thursday, April 15, 2010

Winding down

Needless to say, the last few days have been hell without the warm weather.

Our office did 150 more tax returns than we kicked out last year and my hairline, or lack there of, is starting to show it.

As I'm sitting here smoking one of my traditional April 15th cigarettes (I hate cigars so this is the closest substitute), I can't help but think how my tax practice has changed in 15 years.

My practice has emerged not as a tax compliance center but a welfare affiliate office.

With the earned income credit and other refundable credits, people don't come here to limit their tax liability anymore, they come here to get their free government cheese. It's actually kind of disgusting and unseemly.

I'm going to finish a couple more cigarettes and head to Cindy's Friendly Tavern where me my tax paying buddies can hang with a few bottles of our favorite liquid bread.

Maybe I can fill out some forms down there where Cindy can give me free government beer.

1 comment:

becbeq said...

One of the main reasons I left the field. I got tired of the "is that allll I'm getting?" whine when I was processing a 5 grand welfare gimme. Enjoy the beer - you and your staff deserve it!