Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life in "Progress" City - San Francisco edition

Go to a restaurant to the Golden Gate city and get this on your check...........





I was at dinner with friends at Little Star last weekend, and we were splitting the check. "Looks like the health care surcharge here is 50 cents a person," said one of them, fingering the bill, and suddenly my mood flashed from cheese-stuffed and content to angry. It's been almost three years since the Healthy San Francisco initiative started up and these surcharges gradually started appearing. And it's been two years since the sight of that receipt line has soured my feelings about places that print it.

You'd think that after sharp rebukes from local critics, blogger shaming, and three whole years that restaurateurs would suck it up and absorb the charge into their prices. But many are still determined (stamp foot here) to show us how much we're paying to provide their employees with health insurance.

You'd also think that after seeing these fees so many times, I'd have grown resigned to them. The reason I still get mad when I see a surcharge listed separately on the check, though, is that I quit cooking to pay off a medical bill.

Paying more for everything to pay someone else's bill?

Now that's "Progressive"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What......NO LIQUOR!!
Bartman