Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hatin' on the poor again.

Can you believe those "hate on the poor" republicans?

They won't extend unemployment benefits for the likes of these poor folks............

The group of jovial unemployed say they are finally doing what they have always wanted to do - whether it is blogging or starting a nonprofit organisation, Fox News reported.

Christy Annis got laid off last year after graduating from New Orleans' Tulane law school and practicing for more than a decade but said losing her jobs was one of the best things that happened to her.

“I love waking up everyday and it’s just - what am I going to create today?” Ms Annis said.

“I have so many opportunities. The internet and blogs and Twitter and Facebook; it’s very powerful and it is so easy for people to get information and to find people doing things. You can do anything you want right now.”


I guess looking for work isn't one of those things.

While I realize a review of my practice does not make for a good statistical analysis unless I were in the global warming community, most of the unemployed people I see at my practice are usually 1) older people who were already weighing retirement 2) one of a two person household. Many of these people have opted to just get the unemployment benefit until it runs out before they start looking for work again.

It actually makes sense. Let's assume both spouses work and you pay $200 a week for two kids' day care.

If you make less than $35,000, it's probably actually more cost efficient to collect the check than to go back to work.

But to somehow oppose funemployment makes you a racist bigot.

Now get back to work so you can help out Christy figure out what fun stuff she's going to do today

More........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is usually lost in this discussion is that people think in terms of what economists refer to as marginal cost/benefit. this means people think in terms of the net effect of an action not the end result. So if you can earn 35,000 a year and you are receiving unemployment benefits of 14,000 a year. A rational person will see landing a 35,000 job as the net difference. I.e. That job really only pays 21,000 a year. Add to that that most people can use those extra 40 hours a week for something else, and employment just doesn't make sense.

Anonymous said...

I know this isn't your point but-
child care for two is $200/week? I live in Maryland and it costs me $685/week! Redville looks better and better with each of your posts. If I lived where you live then my wife wouldn't have to work but she won't leave the People's Republic.

deskbox