Friday, August 06, 2010

Life in "Progress" City - Camden NJ edition

From the city of Camden, where there hasn't been a republican in city office since the first amoeba oozed from the primordial stew............

New Jersey's most impoverished city will close all three branches of its public library at year's end unless a rescue can be pulled off,

Camden's library board says the libraries won't be able to afford to stay open past Dec. 31 because of budget cuts from the city government. The city had its subsidy from the state cut.

The library board president says the library system, which opened in 1904, is preparing to donate, sell or destroy its collections, including 187,000 books.

Board president Martin McKernan says keeping the books around would pose a fire hazard.

Turning your libraries into fire hazards?

Now that's "Progressive"!

More.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pension bomb fuse is lit. Chris Bortz doesn't want to do anything to put it out for 2 years. That is EXACTLY the mindset that has put pension funds around the globe in trouble. So let's keep doing the same thing.

I feel terrible for the public employees who put their entire life plan in the hands of politicians. Think about that for a second. How ludicrous does that sound?

"I don't have the knowledge or willpower to save for my own retirement. So instead what I will do is let politicians do it for me. For 20 years I have never seen any statement that says which funds allocated specifically for my retirement. I'm just going to place blind trust that city council (who has turned over several times during my employment) has my back."

Someday soon, people will learn not to place their future in someone else's hands. This extends to all public pensions, including social security. I for one expect to see no social security check in my lifetime. So if I do get something I will see it as a icing on the cake. I am not betting on it's solvency.