Thursday, September 09, 2010

Another non problem solved by government

Texting or e-mailing while driving in Cincinnati soon will mean a $100 fine.

Six Cincinnati City Council members - a majority - voted Wednesday to ban "sending, reading or writing a text message or accessing the internet while driving."

The ban would go into effect 30 days after the full council approves it, which likely will be on Thursday.


Here's a memo to your average councilman/woman, we already have a law covering this and it's called reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

Look, I text once a week; usually to remind Midas that Coldplay sucks. So this law really doesn't impact me at all. None the less, here are some things I've witnessed, done or have friends that do that are at least as distracting as texting.

Screwing with CD's
GPS
Rolling a joint
Eating
Shaving
Putting on make up
Swatting bees
Talking to my ex wife
Reading a newspaper
Putting on make up
Curling hair (No kidding. I knew a woman who had some kind of butane powered curling iron and she would curl her hair in traffic).
Sex

I'll leave it to you to guess which of these I've done.

For sure, the whole texting thing is annoying. Just yesterday I was passed by a woman in a Volvo with a Baby on Board sign in the rear window all the while obviously texting while driving; clearly the behavior of your suburban liberal.

None the less, it's just one more "Yes Dear" law passed by a government that won't solve a real problem........ like a billion dollar pension liability.

More....

No comments: