Saturday, April 14, 2007

BMV SSN BS

I made my quadrennial trip to the Ohio BMV yesterday to get my driver's license renewed. I was first in line so I figured I'd lucked out and it would be a quick visit.

After a 20 min wait, the "friendly" lady at the counter informed me that due to a new federal law prohibiting my social security number from being used as an identification, it would not longer appear on my card. Sounds like a good idea!

Her next sentence got me a little confused. She told me that since my number would not be on my card, the next time I visited the BMV I would need a form of identification with my social security number on it to prove who I was.

Now does this make sense? The BMV won't put your number on the card, but requires that you show them another form of ID that does show the number. Our social security numbers were never meant to be a form of identification. Who are the clowns creating these laws?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The BMV... the model of your future doctor's office visit.