Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Don't Buy Gas Today!


Over the weekend, I spent time with a family member who was telling me all about boycotting gas today.

Given that it was a family outing, I tried my best to keep my political views to myself; no need to be fighting on Mother's Day. Now that I'm in the confines of my office, I'm free to say this guy is an idiot. I really didn't want to give it a thought until a heard a similar idiot on the news talking about this boycott.

If you are a moron lacking in economic education (which, by definition, probably makes you a liberal democrat), here is a supply/demand curve.

Notice a couple of things. As we consume more gasoline and there are no increases in supply the price will go up. As we consume less and supply remains the same, the price will go down....

The same applies to the supply side.

The fact is, as a country, we continue to use more and more gasoline. However, for a lot of reasons, our supply remains static. As a result, the price increases. Now, if we, as a country, boycotted gasoline for say 30 days, we might see some form of price decrease but this one day thing is shear folly.

Gordon, aren't you worried your relative might read your blog and be offended? Not really, because I'm pretty sure if he could read he 1) wouldn't be a democrat and 2) he wouldn't already believe this garbage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What would a Liberal think of a demand curve?

Liberals have no logic, no sense of economy, they cry for the poor and spend record revenues on spinach, peanut storage, unions and waste. Of course Republicans got on board so I don't attach "Conservative" to the GOP anymore.

I encourage watching the 3 hour movie from 1981, "Reds", written produced and directed by left-wing nut Warren Beatty and starring lefty Diane Keaton.

This could serve as the Democrats manifesto. The trouble is how entrenced the thinking becomes and is eventually internalized as the ultimate cure for the world's perceived ills.

A good read accurately describing Liberals who disguise themselves with the term "progressives" is "FDR's Follies", which along with Reds could scare the hell out of moderates and Conservatives, especially one's without a true historical perspective.

Instead of "A Convenient Truth" in classrooms my aforementioned movie and book should be required reading and viewing at appropriate educational levels.

Regards,

Don