Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The SLUTH award

I forgot all about this award (SLap Upside The Head) a long time ago but I'm dusting it off today.

In many ways, kids have it so much easier than we did as kids but in many ways it's harder. For instance, my family was too poor to by me a car for my own personal usage so I saved $500.00 to buy my first baby blue 1972 Ford Pinto; top end speed of 58.5 mph (downhill).

So when I read in the paper about a kid getting killed driving a Camaro 100 mph, my first thought is "what in the hell were these parent's thinking?"

I was a teen age boy at one time. If I would have my hands on a Camaro, 100 mph would have been the standard. Fortunately for me and my friends, we had cars like a 63 Rambler, a 1970 AMC woody wagon, a 1970 Vega, a 1979, three on the tree, Ford Grenada. You never had to put a governor on these cars... they were self imposed.

So if you are a parent that lets your kid tool around in a car like this, I would like to slap you upside the head right now.

Trust me. It will be less painful and humiliating than a call from the Highway Patrol telling you your kid is dead.

No comments: