Monday, September 24, 2007

Why don't they like me?

In the Enquirer today, a man has a column about the contributions of gays, how they are systematically discriminated against, and how we need to celebrate Coming out day on October 11th.

Can you imagine a world with no Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel, or with no Tchaikovsky's "Swan Lake" or Herman Melville's "Moby-Dick"? How about no peanut butter (George Washington Carver)? Or how about King James I, who commissioned the now-standard translation of the Bible?


Let us not forget Lord Byron, Walt Whitman, Oscar Wilde, Tennessee Williams, Cole Porter, Leonard Bernstein, k.d. Lang, Sir Elton John, Melissa Etheridge, Ellen DeGeneres, Sir Ian McKellen, Cary Grant, Montgomery Cliff and Rock Hudson.......


Yet, we gays and lesbians are looked upon as a threat to the very existence of society. We are denied human rights. We are denied the "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" granted to us in the Declaration of Independence. We can be fired, denied housing, denied marriage even denied the right to make decisions for our loved ones in the hospital, all of which are taken for granted by the rest of society.


I'm always a little confused about the discrimination of gays and lesbians. How is it that all these people who are systematically hated, managed to do all these great things? How is it a group that is so vilified by society manages to have a greater household income than heterosexual households?

Since the fabulous Issue "5" controversy in the city, do you know how many suits have been filed using the issue? That's right..... nobody knows because they are so rare (I believe there have been three).

I think people like Mr. Niehaus make the brutal mistake of believing discrimination = being liked and accepted.

The fact of the matter is, people don't like me because I'm a ruthless libertarian and I have the hate mail to prove it. Is that discrimination? What if I was denied a job at a hair salon because of my outspoken political beliefs.... is that discrimination? Should I be hired at the Hustler store despite the fact they defile my Christian beliefs on a regular basis?

Maybe the reason people don't like Mr. Niehaus is because he's a whiny little wimp, not because he's gay.

This is what I could guarantee.... Mr Niehaus will have a better chance at getting a speaking engagement at Columbia University than Gordon Gekko. How's that for discrimination?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They don't like you because you are a fag, and you being around makes them feel creepy.