Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Being poor is supposed to suck

Yesterday, I posted on the "food stamp" challenge after I read an article in the Enquirer about a woman who couldn't seem to feed herself on $21/week.

This morning was a letter to the editor about the challenge.

Money quote
If elected officials had to live if only for a few months on this kind of a budget, I suspect they might better understand the need that many, many families in this country face daily.

Ms Rabkin, I hate to clue you in on this fact but frankly, it's supposed to suck to be poor.

Really. if it didn't suck to be poor, nobody would be poor. It's supposed to be hard so that people who are poor will do things that won't let them be poor anymore, like get jobs.

And if you think that I'm one of those people who have no empathy for the poor, join me tonight as I go out to buy food for those same poor people.

You can also join me about every fourth Friday as well when I go down to one of the local shelters to help out in the kitchen.

I'm not in favor of anyone going hungry, but I can guarantee that the people who get the $21/week make it work. I don't see herds of skinny people living out in the streets.

No comments: