Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The democracy game

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a festival where a candidate for political office was out hustling for votes.

When she handed me her brochure, I asked her point blank, what moral code do you use to justify taking wealth from one person to give to another?

She gave me the me the old "our democracy decides what's moral or not".

Really?

So I challenged her to a democracy game. The candidate, me and my buddy would vote on whether we would take her money and donate it to a local homeless shelter and if she refused we would take it forcibly; just like the government.

Of course, she wasn't up for that.

But Gordon, it's the collective wisdom and experience of our elected officials to determine what is fair and moral.

You mean the collective wisdom and experience of representatives like William "cold cash" Jefferson, who finds a freezer to be a safe place to hide his bribes?

Or how about Laura Richardson, who owns a property that was just cited as a "public nuisance"?

How about the wisdom of a Larry Craig, who finds that rest room stalls and a few toe taps is a good dating strategy?

What about the judgment of Ted Kennedy, who's sound judgment resulted in the death of a young woman?

Maybe guys like John Edwards, BJ Clinton, Eliot Spitzer, Marc Dann, who find that getting their penis serviced always comes before the public interest?

So I throw the question out to our readers.

Under what moral code is it OK to take the wealth from one to give to another? If you want to tell me democracy, me and my family will be over to your house for a few votes.

For the record, at that same festival, I signed a petition to get Cynthia McKinney on the ballot. There's a whole lot of somethin' in her head and I don't think it's wisdom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang it Gordon. Don't you know they know what's best for we ignorant sots.

Fall in line and take what is given to you and be content. Do it for the motherland! Be content to work. To each according to his need. From each according to his ability.

(The Russian national anthem is ringing in my ears at this point)

gordon gekko said...

The misconception of our form of government is that we have a democracy.

It's actually a republic, on paper. Unfortunately, what we're seeing more and more of is the tyranny of democracy.