Thursday, September 18, 2008

The long slippery slope

I am a former liberal, pro abortion, democrat who eventually saw the light. Of course, those were my young adult years when I knew everything as opposed to today when I realize, I didn't know squat.

As I matured and really started to question the whole abortion issue I started to ask the question, "are we not killing inconvenient lives and sanitizing it as 'a woman's choice'?".

When it came to the Terri Schiavo case, I told friends. "Hey, if she has no 'quality of life', why doesn't her ex-husband go into the room and put a pillow on her face and suffocate her? She can't feel it, right? What's the big damn deal?

No, it was easier for Mr. Schiavo not to get his hands dirty by just starving her to death and calling it, well, nothing. She didn't even get the benefit of having her death defined as a "mercy killing" since she had no "quality of life" as the pro death people would have you believe.

I could see the slippery slope of one life being "better" than another. Hey, why not kill that Down Syndrome child. After all, I wouldn't want to live like that.

Now we have this
Elderly people suffering from dementia should consider ending their lives because they are a burden on the NHS and their families, according to the influential medical ethics expert Baroness Warnock. The veteran Government adviser said pensioners in mental decline are "wasting people's lives" because of the care they require and should be allowed to opt for euthanasia even if they are not in pain.


She insisted there was "nothing wrong" with people being helped to die for the sake of their loved ones or society.

The 84-year-old added that she hoped people will soon be "licensed to put others down" if they are unable to look after themselves.


Are you kidding me? Who will be the Solomon who makes all these decisions? Would this be above Obama's pay grade?

But hey, what's the big deal? After all, if a woman can go to a clinic at 7 months pregnant, induce labor so that the baby's brains can be sucked out and we can still call that "choice", what's the big deal? Right?

No comments: