Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First, they came after the smokers

My jaw just dropped reading this one over at liberally conservative.......

If politicians in Oregon have their way, each time a worker steps up to the bar and orders a cold one, his tab will rise by an extra $1.25 to $1.50 a pint. Oregon’s beer tax would move from 43rd in the country to #1. Oregon’s beer tax rate is already higher than beer tax rates in Colorado (home of Coors), Missouri (home of In-Bev) and Wisconsin (home of Miller).


Are you kidding me?

As is my annual tradition on April 15th, I went into my local convenience store and bought a pack of cigarettes ( I can't stand cigars so this is my substitute ). I'll smoke two or three and give the rest to a smoker.

I just about passed out when the clerk told me the smokes were $5.55. Huh?

As my assistant says, I'll have to increase my fees just to cover my April 15th celebration smoke.

Did it ever occur to any of these douche bags that by increasing the tax to the ridiculous, you increase black market activity as well as crime. Think about it, you can now go into a store grab 20 cartons of cigarettes with a street value of $1,000. The law of unintended consequences will be that we'll soon have a new currency know as tobacco.

And if Oregon has it's way, beer.

No comments: