Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fetal Photos

I haven't posted on the Jim Pouillon murder because I knew so many other blogs would have bigger and better comments on it.

Personally, the abortion debate bores me. I'm a ardent defender of life but rarely does anything new come up in the debate. The sides are so polarized, discussion seems like a waste of time.

However, Pouillon's death did have me rethinking the abortion issue in this regard.

Let me preface my point with some back up on other issues.

I believe in public viewing of executions. Not because I have a morbid fascination with death, but I believe if the masses can watch it, it can't be cruel and unusual. If they can't, they'll ban it. By keeping executions hidden from the public, it sanitizes the process. It's easy for someone like me to say "fry the bastard" but if I actually watch someone be electrocuted, I believe I could change my mind in a heartbeat.

The same holds true on the torture issue. If people can watch what goes on during interrogations, it can't be torture. I've watched several videos of waterboarding. None of them left me a vision in my mind I can't get rid of; hence, not torture.

Now, how do I relate this to abortion? Apparently, people have been upset with Pouillon because of the graphic nature of pictures he posted on his property. What could be so graphic about pictures of tissue and protoplasm?

In fact, I remember our high school biology lab having a baby pig in a jar filled with phemaldehyde as well as other pickled animals. We had two dissection projects in our class; a rat and a frog. We even got to name said animals (our group won a prize for Rat Scratch Fever). In addition, we got to see cancerous lungs versus a healthy lung.

Here's an idea! Why don't we put the remains of fetuses in various stages of development and have the kiddies in AP biology perform dissections on these remains? I mean c'mon, we've already concluded that these aren't even humans so why let all that mess go to waste? Kids will be amazed to cut open remains to see little hearts, lungs and stomachs.

Even better, take the remains and put them in jars with phemaldehyde. Kids could get a great biology education by seeing the development of a fetus at 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6 months.

How does that make your stomach feel?

Now, keep that vision in your mind and answer the question......... is that fetus or a life?

No comments: