Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A depressing beginning

I'm all of about a week into tax season and it's really ugly out there.

In a typical season I might have 10-15 people receive unemployment benefits during the year.

This year, I already have five.

I've already met with three people who have had homes seized in foreclosure.

And I can think of at least five people who have had some kind of debt forgiveness during the year.

That doesn't even count the people who are living by threads. Like the couple who made $60,000 with $18,000 in mortgage interest. How they're doing that I have no idea.

It's going to be a long, long season.

I think what we really need in this country is the tax increase as outlined by Team Obama in their budget presented to congress.

1 comment:

Becbeq said...

Glad to see you posting in spite of the peak tax preparation period. What you are seeing is the exact reason I decided to retire from tax accounting last year. This is the 1st year in 11 that I have not been putting in a 50 hour week the first week of February. I decided that it would be too depressing to be in a tax office this year and, well, the pay wasn't worth the discouraging outlook.