Sunday, May 18, 2008

Go Cincinnati

Yesterday, over 4,000 Jesus lovers from over 20 churches went into the city of Cincinnati to make a difference (Go Cincinnati).

This collaboration of Jesus nuts performed jobs such as building Habitat for Humanity homes, clearing out debris from parks, to doing maintenance for faith based groups around the city.

I have to admit, my day started on a sour note when I had to look at some anti christian bumper sticker in the drive thru as I headed to my project.

After my assignment (exterior painting of the Job's Plus office), I went inside and read the mission of the Job's Plus organization.

Jobs Plus is a non-profit organization that helps break cycles of poverty and unhealthy dependencies for individuals in low-income communities by providing job opportunities and a network of support and accountability leading to healthier lifestyles.

Exactly what is it about people of faith who perform these services has the atheists like Plunderbund gang hating on Christians.

I've never seen a group of atheists do anything like Jobs Plus does. In fact, when I googled charitable atheist organizations, you can't find many. Most of what you get is lots of blogs "talking" about being charitable. You see few actually doing.

So what is it with the atheist? Do you think you're charitable because you have compassion for your fellow man or because you actually get off you ass and do something about it.

Instead of criticizing your fellow man for trying to make a difference, why don't you join 4,000 other people on a Saturday morning and put your money where your mouth is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The main difference between faith based vs. secular style charity can be summed up by one word in the Jobs Plus mission statement: "accountability". You will never see that word in any government or atheist social help program. That would imply that someone change behavior in addition to getting help. Secular solutions strive to throw other people's money at problems, without expectation of individuals changing behavior.

Anonymous said...

You are a good man Mr. Gekko

gordon gekko said...

It's clear that these programs are more successful since there is accountability.

No one would allow a brother to move into their house and just lay around for weeks on end. But the government does because no one cares; they're just moving paper around.

For the record, I struggled with posting this because part of being generous is to be able to do so without seeking kudos.

I'm just really aggravated with the anti Christian zealotry in this country. After all, we're just a bunch God clinging hicks.

Anonymous said...

Stop confusing government programs with atheist programs. You'll sound more credible. It's annoying but funny every time you shoot your own argument drawing a comparison between an Catholic charity and nothing.

Some of us atheists are as good as you and don't need publicity to prove it. I've put my sweat where my mouth is often. My money too sometimes but contributing my sweat makes me feel better.

Perhaps you're not speaking about people like me with your posts though. I know there are a-holes of the atheist variety too.

bruce

gordon gekko said...

I think I was being perfectly clear. I didn't confuse gov't programs with atheistic programs because there are no atheistic programs. Atheists somehow think the government is THE only way to solve problems.

If you can point one out to me, please do.

Actually, you kind of missed the whole point of my post all together. I didn't really even mention government programs.

My point is that there is a huge number of atheists/progressives kicking back and bitching about people of faith but doing absolutely nothing for their fellow man.

I'm challenging them to actually be part of a solution instead of part of a problem.