Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Prager

Dennis Prager on the question of "Is the Country headed in the right direction?"
Today's most widely accepted political belief is that because an unprecedentedly high percentage of Americans -- 81 percent -- believe the country is headed in the wrong direction, the Republicans are headed for a major defeat this coming November.

If this is the case, it can only be because the American voter translates "headed in the wrong direction" as "because the Republicans have had their way, so it's time to let the Democrats have theirs."

That should not be the case. I count myself as one of the 81 percent who believes America is headed in the wrong direction, and that is precisely why I am voting Republican. Moreover, I suspect I am not alone among the 81 percent in ascribing the wrong track to the leftist, not the conservative, influence on American life.

I concur



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also concur. I'm really glad you pointed that out, Gordon. Prager's observation highlights how interpretation of events by the media can be highly political.

For example, a poll that shows a majority of Americans don't think enough is being done about poverty is immediately headlined as "Americans Want Governement to Solve Poverty". When in reality a large segment think a more accurate headline should be "Most Americans Think a Job is Best Cure for Poverty".

Or when the polls have come out about American's dissatisfaction about the Iraq war, is immediately translated as "Americans want to Pull Out". I can count myself as one who has been very unhappy about the war, but I also did not want us out once we were in. Not because I'm a hawk, but because pulling out now would cost us 10 times the lives down the road in a future war. I knpow many people of the same mindset, but these voices are usually not heard. Not until election day. That's why the dems were so surprised when Kerry lost in '04.

gordon gekko said...

The problems with many of those types of questions is that it doesn't place priority on anything.

I can say that I want the government to solve

1)global warming
2)poverty
3)drug abuse
4)male patterned baldness
5)stinky under arms
6)World peace

But when confronted with limited resources, people would decide which is a better use of funds.